Summer Study Abroad in Aberdeen, Scotland
July 10, 2023 to August 4, 2023
Application Deadline: April 17, 2023
Applications are reviewed on a first come, first served basis, once complete with the deposit paid. See below for payment information.
Tuition, Fees & Housing
Tuition & Fees: $7,944.00 for 6 credits, field trips, admissions, receptions and selected meals in connection with program activities
Program Fee: $700 for self-catered housing.
- Housing will be at Hillhead Halls of Residence - visit the website for full information. Housing will be made available from Sunday, July 9, 2023, through Saturday, August 5, 2023. For an additional charge, housing arrangements may be able to be made for longer. Students will reside in the Halls of Residence, in self-catering flats that each accommodate five persons, all with separate bedrooms, with en-suite facilities and shared living and kitchen area.
- Fees cover course materials and all Program activities, which typically include a visit to Edinburgh and its courts, a trip to historic Fyvie Castle, receptions, and a final luncheon party. Program participants will be responsible for the cost of travel to and from Aberdeen and any travel outside of the Program (for example, any weekend excursions while the Program is operating).
Estimated Costs of Attendance & Financial Aid Contacts
This amount represents the total estimated costs to be paid by student and for which financial aid may be available:
- Tuition Fees $7,944
- Program Fees $700 ($0 if housing secured independently)
- Meals & Incidentals $4,131 (per State Department website)
- Airfare to/from Aberdeen $1,300
- Travel Insurance $250
For UBalt Law student financial aid inquiries, please contact the UBalt Financial Aid Office. For Maryland Carey Law student financial aid inquiries, please click here. Other students should contact their home institution about financial aid options.
Payment Schedule & Information
- April 17, 2023: $300 Nonrefundable deposit due with application
- May 22, 2023: Balance of the Program Fee due or proof of financial aid secured
June 12, 2023:
- Current UBalt Law students should register for the 2 Program courses. Then, the deposit should be paid by contacting Renee Edmonds in the Bursar's Office. She is available by phone Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 9 am to 5 pm to take payments via phone. Her number is 410.837.5027.
If you are unable to reach her, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org set up an appointment time to speak with her. If you e-mail her, please state "Aberdeen Study Abroad" in the subject line.
- For Maryland Carey Law students or other non-UBalt Law students: You will receive a confirmation email with next steps regarding registration and payment options after we receive your letter of good academic standing and after we add you to our system for processing deposits.
- Once a deposit has been paid, you can pay the remaining tuition via the MyUBalt portal.
Travel and Medical Travel Insurance
- Current round-trip airfare from the Baltimore/Washington region to Aberdeen, Scotland is estimated to be around $1,300.
- Students must have valid passports/travel documents and must have medical insurance coverage while abroad.
- All Program participants will be required to provide a copy of their travel itinerary and travel documents to the Program during the pre-trip orientation process.
Please contact Andreas Ortmeyer (email@example.com) for additional information on the UMB protocols to arrange for travel and required medical travel insurance.
UBalt and Other Non-UMB Students
UBalt and other students in the Program may secure travel to and from the program site as they prefer. The UBalt preferred travel agency is as follows and can offer any participant who wishes assistance in obtaining flights:
Globetrotter Travel Management Services Inc.
18121 Georgia Avenue, Suite 104
Olney, MD 20832
(301) 570-0800 or (888) 337-2462, press 1
fax: (301) 570-9514
Kim Noppenberger, extension 123
Michael Clingan, extension 125
Theresa Mulcahy, extension 103, also can help with insurance.
Glenn Harris, extension 115, oversees international travel.
Air Request Link:
- Once all UBalt and non-UMB program participants are identified and confirmed, UBalt will secure travel medical insurance for each through an arrangement with INext. Program participants will be responsible for the costs of such insurance and will receive additional information as to how the costs will be billed.
(1) Cancellation of program: In the unlikely event that the program is canceled, each and every student enrolled would receive individual notice by e-mail, receipt requested, and there would be follow-up by regular mail or telephone or both to every student who did not acknowledge receipt of the e-mail. Cancellation of the program would result in refunding all payments made by students.
(2) Withdrawal by individual student: For a student to withdraw their enrollment in the program, the student must send written notice (by e-mail or regular mail) that is received by the program director or program assistant (or both) no later than Noon on May 22, 2023. After timely withdrawal, the student will receive a refund of all payments other than the nonrefundable $300 deposit. No refunds will be made for withdrawals received after noon on May 22, 2023.
University of Baltimore School of Law
Attention: Laura Carter, Aberdeen Program
1420 N. Charles St., AL 700
Baltimore, MD 21201