Our Students are Practice Ready Professionals.
University of Baltimore Law Students are hard working and eager for real world legal experiences. If you are interested in hosting a University of Baltimore School of Law extern, simply review the information below and complete the Field Placement Application. You may also post an opening on Symplicity.
Requirements for Organizations Sponsoring Externs
- The position must be unpaid (all externs receive academic credit), and you may not bill for the students' time;
- The position must entail substantial law-related work; and
- The intern must be supervised by a licensed attorney in good standing with three or more years of experience.
Responsibilities of Supervising Attorneys
- An orientation for the student;
- Adequate work space for the student; and
- Regular supervision of the student, including:
- developing a work plan, schedule and responsibilities with the student
- identify learning goals
- weekly supervision meetings
- evaluations and feedback on the student's work.
How to Ensure Your Organization Receives Applications from Students
- For Summer and Fall semester externs, contact our office in March. Check in with us again in early August. For Spring semester, contact us in early October.
- Ask your current extern(s) to recommend your organization to classmates.
- Post your jobs and/or externships on our online job database, Symplicity.
Policy on Discrimination and Sexual Harassment
- The University of Baltimore School of Law requires that employers who wish to participate in the Externship Program not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability. We also require that employers maintain a policy against sexual harassment. By participating in the Externship Program, employers are deemed to agree with this policy.