Making a difference in the UBalt Law and legal community.
UB Law's graduates have distinguished themselves in a variety of endeavors including law, business, government and public service. Each year, the law school recognizes alumni who embody the spirit of a UB Law education and who make a difference and inspire excellence in the legal community.
Selected award recipients will be informed of their nominations and selections by the law school. After acceptance of each award is confirmed, nominators will be informed of their candidate's status.
About the Distinguished Law Alumni Awards
Nominations are collected by the School of Law and selected by members of the UB Law Alumni Board. Selected honorees are informed of their nominations and selections, and their acceptance of the awards is then confirmed. After all honorees are confirmed, nominators are informed of their candidates' status.
Byron L. Warnken Memorial Award
The Byron L. Warnken Memorial Award honors a graduate who has enhanced the reputation of the School of Law and the legal profession by demonstrating excellence in their practice through high ethical standards, commitment to community service, and commitment to mentoring law students and fellow attorneys.
- 2022 - Kelly A. Powers, J.D. '09
- 2021 - Isabel Mercedes Cumming, J.D. '93
- 2019 - G. Adam Ruther, J.D. '07
- 2017 - Heidi L. Levine, J.D. '95
- 2016 - Virginia Rafalko Canter, B.A. '79, J.D. '81
Chosen by the Dean of the School of Law, the Dean's Award honors a graduate who has demonstrated extraordinary service, commitment, and dedication to the School of Law community.
- 2022 - The Garten Family
- 2021 - Barry M. Chasen, J.D. '80
- 2019 - Nathaniel C. "Niel" Fick, Jr., J.D. '75
- 2017 - James P. "Jim" Nolan, J.D. '74
- 2016 - Steven D. Silverman, J.D. '91
Distinguished Judicial AwardThe Distinguished Judicial Award honors a graduate has demonstrated extraordinary dedication to the improvement of the law, the legal system, and the administration of justice; is considered a role model in the legal community; and has provided outstanding service to the bench.
- 2022 - Hon. Pamila Brown, J.D. '79
- 2021 - Hon. Stuart R. Berger, J.D. '84
- 2019 - Hon. Kendra Y. Ausby, J.D. '97
- 2017 - Hon. Daniel M. Long, J.D. '74
Judge Robert Bell Award
This award honors a graduate who has demonstrated an exceptional commitment to public service and social justice during their legal career.
- 2022 - Rexanah Wyse Morrissette, J.D. '13
- 2021 - Jill J. Myers, J.D. '81
- 2019 - Susan K. Francis, J.D. '11
- 2016 - Master Hope Tipton
Rising Star Award
The Rising Star Award honors a recent graduate who is already making significant leadership and service contributions to the School of Law and the legal community.
- 2022 - Richard L. Adams III, J.D. '17
- 2021 - James R. Torrence, Jr., J.D. '17
- 2019 - Lauren E. Lake, B.A. '13, J.D. '16
- 2017 - Katherine A. "Katie" Dorian, J.D. '13
- 2016 - Ebony M. Thompson, J.D. '13
Now accepting nominations for the 2024 Distinguished Alumni Awards.
Meet the Award Winners
Byron L. Warnken Memorial Award: Taren Butcher, J.D. '07
Judge Robert Bell Award: Adam Shareef, J.D. '17
Rising Star Award: Annice Brown, J.D. '16
Distinguished Judicial Award: Hon. Barbara Waxman, J.D. '80
Dean's Award: Samuel G. Rose, LL.B. ’62.