Skip to content
Main Content

What does a tax lawyer do?

A tax attorney may help individuals and businesses (of all sizes) on various federal, state, local and foreign tax related issues concerning income, estate, excise, property and gift tax along with advising on the same. The lawyer puts together documents on tax liabilities based on past and future transactions. He or she will create tax plans and counsel on preparations involved in tax matters. Tax attorneys may assist with the development of fiscal policy and managing public and nonprofit organizations. Tax lawyers are also involved in tax controversy practice -- representing clients who have disputes with the IRS (and state tax authorities) in administrative and judicial proceedings. Tax lawyers also work for the government -- in particular the IRS, where they draft rulings and regulations, as well as assist in tax examinations, appeals and litigation.

  • What skills do I need to be a tax lawyer?

    Tax attorneys will need not only to know tax law, but also the underlying substantive law.  Strong analytical skills are also key, along with attention to detail as most tax work requires the careful reading of tax statutes and regulations.

  • What kinds of jobs are available for tax lawyers?

    Tax attorneys frequently work in private law firms, as employees or partners. Other tax attorneys work in a more corporate environment, where they work on reporting and compliance issues. Tax attorneys tend to be very busy during tax season, typically from January to mid-April.

  • What courses should I take?

    Business Organizations • Corporate Taxation • Estate and Gift Tax • Federal Income Tax • Fundamentals of Federal Income Taxation (I and II) • Partnership Taxation • S Corporations • Tax Practice and Procedure • Tax Policy Seminar • Tax Clinic • Trusts and Estates

  • What co-curricular and volunteer activities should I consider?

    Join the Business and Tax Law Association on campus and /or participate in the Tax Moot Court program. You might also consider getting a Masters in Taxation or a Certificate in Estate Planning through the UB Graduate Tax Program.

  • Who should I talk to for more information?