The University of Baltimore expects all library database users to respect all pertinent licenses, copyrights, and contracts.
Off campus access to some databases is provided via Research Port and is restricted to members of the University of Baltimore community (see key below).
Business-related journals via ProQuest. Some full text available.
Academic Search Complete (EBSCO)
Provides abstracts and indexing for over 7,000 journals. Full text of articles for over 4,000 scholarly publications, including more than 3,100 peer-reviewed publications.
- Administrative Decisions via University of Virginia Library
- Administrative Law via Cornell University Law School
- Adoption Quarterly
A research database created and maintained by the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). Designed specifically for legal professionals who need quick access to reliable and up-to-date immigration law information and guidance.
America: History & Life
Index of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. Provides indexing for over 1,500 journals from as far back as 1910.
- American Law and Economics Review
- The American Presidency Project
American Society of International Law Information resources on International Law.
- Audivisual Library of International Law A virtual training and research centre in international law, sponsored by the United Nations.
- Animal Legal & Historical Center sponsored by Michigan State University
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
- Baltimore City Official website
- The Baltimore City Charter, City Code and Public Local Laws
Provides full text to articles from The Baltimore Sun from 1990 to the present.
Baltimore Sun (Historical)
Provides full text to articles from The Baltimore Sun from 1837 to 1990. For more recent articles from The Sun, see The Baltimore Sun above.
Berkeley Center for Law and Technology
Fosters the beneficial and ethical understanding of intellectual property (IP) law and related fields as they affect public policy, business, science and technology.
Berkman Center for Internet and Society
A research center at Harvard University focused on the impact of technology on society.
Leading source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals
- Bloomberg BNA Antitrust and Trade Regulation Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Bankruptcy Law Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Benefits Practice Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA eDiscovery Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Environment and Safety Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Health Law Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Intellectual Property Law Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Labor and Employment Law Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Privacy & Data Security Law Resource Center
- Bloomberg BNA Tax and Accounting Center
- Bloomberg Law
- Britannica Online Encyclopedia Full text and interactive version
- British and Irish Legal Information Institute
Business Source Premier
Provides full-text for nearly 8200 serials, with full-text for some back to 1965
- C-SPAN Video Library
Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School
The study of the law and policy around the Internet and other emerging technologies.
- CFR Code of Federal Regulations, via GPO
- CFR - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Checkpoint (now Thomson Reuters Checkpoint)
Provides both analytical and primary source information relating to tax law
The Chicago Manual of Style Online
Offers fully searchable contents of the 16th and15th editions of The Chicago Manual of Style.
Christian Science Monitor
Provides full text of articles from the Christian Science Monitor from 1988 to the present.
- Chronicling America (Library of Congress)
Journal Published by the Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law
Users must first register for a username and password at the publisher's web site using a PC on campus. Access to full-text of articles is then available from any computer after logging in with these account credentials. Users must log in to the publisher's web site from a PC on campus at least once every 60 days to renew their subscription status
- COMAR - Code of Maryland Regulations
Committee on Science, Technology, and Law (CSTL)
explores pressing issues, improves communication and helps resolve issues between the science and engineering community and the legal community.
- Commonwealth Legal Information Institute
Provides access to journal and magazine articles, conference papers and conference proceedings focusing on communications and related subjects including linguistics, rhetoric and discourse and media studies. Some full text is available.
- Compilation of Presidential Documents
- Compilation of Presidential Documents via GPO
Congress.gov - Legislative Information on the Internet
Library of Congress site that provides access to bills, committee reports and the Congressional Record
- Congressional Directory
- Constitute Project The World's Constitutions to Read, Search, and Compare
- Copyright Law Journal (Log in required. See reference librarian for credentials.)
- CQ - News and intelligence from the Congressional Quarterly newsroom, including CQ Magazine and Roll Call Digital Edition.
Features comprehensive and in-depth analysis of issues in the news. Includes coverage on such topics as law and justice, government functions, international affairs, U.S. Supreme Court and judicial system, and business and economics.
Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text
Provides full text and abstracts for journals and magazines covering criminology and related subjects including law enforcement, criminal investigations and corrections and prisons.
Criminal Justice Periodicals
A comprehensive database of U.S. and international criminal justice journals. Supports research on crime, its causes and impacts, legal and social implications, as well as litigation and crime trends.
Criminology: A SAGE Full-Text Collection
Includes peer-reviewed journals published by SAGE and participating societies, encompassing over 25,000 articles. Covers such subjects as criminal justice, juvenile delinquency, juvenile justice, corrections, policing and family and domestic violence.
Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP)
Weekly issues of the Current Index to Legal Periodicals, which indexes articles from more than 650 legal publications. Latest and archived issues are available for download.
Current Maryland Statutes from the General Assembly of Maryland
You must know the article and section number
E-Book Collection (EBSCOhost) (formerly netLibrary) A general collection of electronic texts
E-Book Library (USMAI)
A web-based ebook lending platform. Select the University of Baltimore Law Library and log in using your UB username/password.
Indexes economics-related literature, including journal articles, working papers, conference proceedings and book reviews. Abstracts are also available.
- eDiscovery Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
- Emory Law Library's Free Legal Web Resources By subject
- English Reports (1220-1873)
- Environment and Safety Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
Offers full text and indexing for journals and books focusing on the environment. Subject coverage includes environmental law, environmental technology, public policy and urban planning.
- ERIC Index of articles related to education
Europa European Union Sources
- Official Site of the European Union
- EUR-Lex Official access to European Union Law
- Delegation of the European Union to the United States
- European Parliament
- Family Court Review
A legal research service that combines a comprehensive national law library and smarter, more powerful searching, sorting and visualization tools. Coverage includes cases, statutes, regulations, court rules and constitutions. Also provides access to a newspaper archive, legal forms, and a one-stop PACER search of federal filings through content partners.
- FDsys GPO's official system of record for online government information
- Federal Agency Directory
- Federal Judicial Center
- Federal Judicial Homepage
- Federal Register
- Federal Register via GPO
- Federal Register via Library of Congress
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- FindLaw: International Law Resources
- FindLaw: United States Constitution
- Flare Index to Treaties
Foreign Law Guide
A tool for finding information on sources of foreign law for approximately 190 jurisdictions around the world. Includes bibliographic citations to legislation, the existence of English translations where available and selected references to secondary sources in English.
- Free and Low Cost Resources for Legal Research (Pace University)
- General Code Online eCode360 Search-by-state electronic codes
- Ghosthunting: Searching for Maryland Legislative History by Michael S. Miller, Director of the Maryland State Law Library, in 1998. The Library has retained his original text, but has added or updated links as appropriate. Researchers also may be interested in the Library's companion document, Checklist for Maryland Legislative History Research.
Global Issues in Context
Offers international viewpoints on a broad spectrum of global issues, topics and current events. Content includes articles from publications around the world, podcasts, videos and interactive maps.
- Google Scholar
- Governor's Homepage
- GovInfo This site provides free online access to official publications from all three branches of the Federal Government
Collection of magazine, newspaper, trade publication and journal articles covering the connections between the environment and such disciplines as agriculture, law, health, education and technology.
Hathitrust Digital Library
(Disclaimer about Hathitrust: Full text access to some Hathitrust materials may not be available to the UB Community.)
- Health Law Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
Health Source: Consumer Edition
Provides wide range of consumer health information. Full-text for about 80 consumer health-related magazines is available. Also provides full-text access to health-related pamphlets and reference books, as well as patient education fact sheets.
This Library consists of a collection of over 1,800 law and law-related periodicals with more than 26 million pages of articles, comments, book reviews, decisions, and legislation. Full-text is available, in graphical image format.
- Hein Online: Bar Journals
- Hein Online: Intellectual Property Law Collection
- Hein Online: Law Journal Library
- Hein Online: National Survey of State Laws
- Hein Online: United Nations Law Collection
- Hein Online: U.S. Congressional Documents
- Hein Online: U.S. Treaties and Agreements Library
- Hein Online: World Treaty Library
- Homeland Security Digital Library
- House of Representatives Homepage
- How to Research a Legal Problem: A Guide for Non-Lawyers courtesy of AALL
Humanities International Complete
Covers all aspects of the humanities; content pertains to literary, scholarly and creative thought. Offers full text for hundreds of journals, books and other published sources from around the world.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals via Hein Online
Index to Legal Periodicals & Books Full-text
Indexes legal journals, books, and newspapers. Includes the full-text of some articles.
Index to Legal Periodicals Retrospective
Covers the period from 1908 - 1981, with indexing for over 500 law reviews and journals.
- Intellectual Property Law Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
- The Inter-American Court of Human Rights Project (Loyola Law School, Los Angeles)
- International Court of Justice
- International Law Library World Legal Information Institute
ITechLaw (International Technology Law Association)
A forum for the exchange of ideas and in-depth examination of information technology and telecommunications law issues.
- JAMA Journal of the American Medical Association (available on campus only)
- Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society
- Journal of Legal Studies
Full-text scholarly journal articles in such areas as economics, history, political science, sociology, philosophy, archaeology and classics
- JuriGlobe World Legal Systems
- Juvenile and Family Court Journal
- Labor and Employment Law Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
- Law Library of Congress' Guide to Law Online
- Law Library of Congress: Nations Foreign Law online
- Law Student Guide to Free Legal Research
Legal news and analysis.
- Legal Information Institute via Cornell University Law School
- LegalTrac Indexes legal journals and newspapers. Some full text is available.
- Lexis Advance
- LexisNexis Academic
Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
Indexes more than 700 periodicals, plus books, research reports and proceedings. Coverage include such topics as includes librarianship, cataloging, classification, information management and online information retrieval.
- Library of Congress: American Memory
- Library of Congress: Chronicling America
LLMC (Law Library Microform Consortium) Digital
Offers a searchable, full text collection of archival material from the U.S. federal government, U.S. state governments, territorial governments, and various foreign and international jurisdictions. Content is available as scanned PDFs.
- LLRX.com Law and technology resources for legal professionals
- LLRX's International Law Guides
- LLRX's Web Guide to United States Supreme Court Research
- LLSDC's Legislative Source Book
Making of Modern Law: Legal Treatises, 1800-1926
A digital collection that includes a wide range of resources for research in United States and British legal history. Resources include casebooks, local practice manuals, form books, works for lay readers, pamphlets, letters and speeches. Full-text searchable.
Making of Modern Law: Supreme Court Records & Briefs, 1832-1978
A digital collection of records and briefs brought before the United States Supreme Court by leading legal practitioners. Includes transcripts, applications for review, motions, petitions, supplements and other official papers of the most-studied and talked-about cases. Full-text searchable.
- Maryland Appellate Court Opinions
- Maryland Attorney General Opinions
- Maryland Bar Exams State Board of Law Examiners
- Maryland Code via the Maryland State Law Library
- Maryland Code & Court Rules (Code of Maryland Unannotated and Rules)
Maryland Codes Administration
Contains building, fire and other codes information for the State of Maryland and includes information from those local jurisdictions that adopt and enforce these codes
- Maryland Courts - Judiciary
- Maryland Daily Record A login is required to access full-text of articles
Maryland General Assembly Homepage
Provides information about legislators, committee reports, bills, proceedings and more
- Maryland Historical Society's H. Furlong Baldwin Library of Maryland History
- Maryland Judiciary Case Search
- Maryland Manual Guide to Maryland & its government
- Maryland Session Laws via the Archives of Maryland Online
- Maryland State Bar Association
Maryland State Government Website Archive
Maryland State Archives site that provides information about all the branches and agencies of the Maryland State Government
- Maryland State Law Library
- Maryland State Telephone directory Searchable by name as well as department
MAS Ultra: School Edition
Provides full-text for over 500 general interest and current events publications. Also contains reference book entries and an extensive image collection containing photos, maps and other types of documents.
Indexes over 27,000 periodicals and full-text searching for 1,800 periodicals) on general interest topics such as health, business and culture
- MEDLINE Index of articles relating to medicine
Military & Government Collection
Offers current news of all branches of the U.S. military and federal government through a collection of periodicals, academic journals and other pertinent content. Provides full-text for nearly 300 journals and periodicals. Also offers indexing and abstracts for more than 400 journals and periodicals.
MLA International Bibliography
Provides citations to journal articles, book chapters, working papers, conference proceedings and dissertations. Subject coverage includes literature, language and linguistics, folklore, literary theory and criticism and the historical aspects of printing and publishing.
- Multilateral Treaties - Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy Archived – no longer being updated
A Multimedia Archive of the Supreme Court of the United States
The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Municipal Code Corporation List of Codes Provided by Municipal Codes Online
National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) Digital Library
Full text of 20 treatises published by the NCLC. Content is searchable and includes pleadings, primary sources and practice aids. Updated regularly.
- National Governors Association
- National Law Journal
A forensic research database that helps you find thousands of resources about forensic science & technology, the law of scientific evidence & expert witnesses, and more.
New York Times
Provides full text of articles from the New York Times from 1980 to the present.
New York Times (Historical)
Provides full text of articles from the New York Times from 1851 to 2012. For more recent articles, see the New York Times above.
News & Newspapers via ProQuest
The collection includes the full text of the Baltimore Sun, Christian Science Monitor, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post.
- OAS – Organization of American States
- Online Newspaper Directory for the World Thousands of Newspapers Listed by Country & Region
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
Offers coverage of current social issues. Content includes viewpoint essays, articles, podcasts and videos.
Oxford English Dictionary
The OED Online contains the complete text of the 20-volume Second Edition, together with the 1993 and 1997 three-volume Additions Series
- Oxford Journal of Legal Studies
The People's Law Library of Maryland
A source for legal and self-help information on Maryland and federal law
Provides indexing and abstracting of books and journals on philosophy and related fields. Subject coverage includes ethics, social and political philosophy and the philosophy of education.
An online data and mapping tool that allows users to create custom maps, tables, charts, and reports using data on demographics, housing, incomes and spending, education, health and more in communities across the United States.
Content includes full-text magazine articles and easy-to-read encyclopedic entries geared toward helping elementary-school-aged children in learning.
- Privacy & Data Security Law Resource Center (Bloomberg BNA)
Professional Development Collection
Consists of journal and magazine articles designed to help teachers at all levels of education. Coverage includes nearly 500 full-text journals and more than 700 abstracted and indexed journals.
Provides access to Congressional level publications, policy documents and the US Statutes at Large
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global
Includes millions of searchable citations to dissertations and theses from 1861 to the present. Over one million full-text dissertations are available for download. Subject coverage includes business and economics, technology, social sciences and humanities.
ProQuest Legislative Insight
A federal legislative history service that makes available compilations of digital, full-text publications created by Congress during the process leading up to the enactment of U.S. Public Laws.
ProQuest Statistical Abstract of the U.S.
Provides a comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political and economic conditions of the United States.
Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals covering all aspects of psychology. Database content and journals are produced by the American Psychological Association and other allied organizations.
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
Provides extensive full-text coverage for a broad range of subjects in the fields of psychology, behavioral sciences and related disciplines. Full-text of more than 530 journals is available.
Indexes journals, books, book chapters, dissertations and technical reports focusing on behavioral science and mental health. Produced by the American Psychological Association.
Index of psychological tests, measures, scales, surveys and other assessment tools. Provides descriptive information and links to peer-reviewed literature, technical reports or dissertations. Produced by the American Psychological Association.
Public Affairs Index
Bibliographic database of journal articles, conference papers, trade publications and government documents focusing on all aspects of national and global public policy issues.
- Public Papers of the President
Links to the Unified Agenda and Regulatory Plan and information on current regulations
- Regulations.gov Comment on proposed regulations
- Research Guide for Maryland Regulations published by the Division of State Documents, 1992
Roll Call Newspaper Online
Congress, Capitol Hill, political campaigns, elections & Washington, D.C.
Rosenne's Law and Practice of the International Court: 1920-2015 (5th edition)
Electronic version of the print treatise
- SAILOR Maryland's Online Public Information Network
- Senate Homepage
SocINDEX with Full Text
Offers comprehensive coverage of sociology, encompassing sub-disciplines and closely related areas of study. These include ethnic and racial studies, marriage and family and rural and urban sociology. Types of content include journal articles, books, working papers and conference proceedings.
Standard Federal Tax Reporter
Provides a comprehensive collection of up-to-date federal income tax information, such as full text of all proposed, temporary and final federal income tax law regulations, as well as full text of federal administrative rulings and documents.
- State Legislatures, State Laws and State Regulations LLSDC
- Stateline Politics & policy news, for Maryland
- Stateline Politics & policy news, state by state
Statutes at Large
Digitized by the Law Library of Congress. Searchable PDFs available. Project is ongoing; web page is continually updated to incorporate additional volumes.
Supreme Court Brief
A digital publication from the publisher of the National Law Journal that reports on all issues that will or may be coming to the Supreme Court.
- The Supreme Court Collection
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Tax and Accounting Center (Bloomberg BNA)
Thomson Reuters Checkpoint
Provides both analytical and primary source information relating to tax law.
- United Kingdom Statute Law Database
United Nations Official Website
- United Nations Documents A selection of official United Nations documents
- United Nations Humanitarian Affairs
UNRIC (United Nations Regional Information Centre for Western Europe) Library Backgrounders
The UNRIC Info Point & Library issues backgrounders on various subjects that list relevant URLs within the UN system
- United Nations Treaty Collection
- United Nations Yearbook
- United States Code
- United States Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774-1873
- United States Department of State Office of Treaty Affairs
- United States Government Departments and Agencies
United States Treaties
Digitized by the Law Library of Congress. Project is ongoing; web page is continually updated to incorporate additional volumes.
Wall Street Journal
Provides full text of articles from the Wall Street Journal from 1984 to the present.
Provides full text of articles from the Washington Post from 1987 to the present.
Washington Post (Historical)
Provides full text of articles from the Washington Post from 1877 to 1999. For more recent articles, see the Washington Post above.
- WashLaw Web Washburn University School of Law's State Law & more
- White House Homepage
- World Trade Organization
- World Treaty Library
The WorldCat database is the OCLC Online Union Catalog. It contains more than 32 million records describing items owned by libraries around the world.