Skip to content
Main Content

The Juris Doctor/Master of Public Administration program is ideal for students who want to use their law degrees in federal, state or local government agencies, as well as in not-for-profit or quasi-governmental organizations. The M.P.A. program in UB's College of Public Affairs is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration. Online M.P.A. courses provide you with flexibility and convenience.

How it works:

You'll complete a minimum of 78 credits in the law school and a minimum of 30 credits in the M.P.A. program.

The UB School of Law recognizes 9 credits of the negotiations and conflict management requirements as transferable to its program (or 6 credits if the degrees are not completed within the same academic year), and the the College of Public Affairs reciprocally allows the transfer of up to 12 credits of law school courses to satisfy coursework requirements in the M.P.A. program. Specifically, the M.P.A. program agrees to waive PUAD 627: Legal and Ethical Environment of Public Administration for students in the dual-degree program as well as 9 specialization credit hours.

You'll begin master’s program work during the summer preceding enrollment in the law school or during the summer after finishing the first year of law school, but you can't take courses within the master’s program during the fall and spring semesters of the first year of law school.

Applying and admission:

Apply to and meet the admission standards of both the School of Law and the Master of Public Administration program separately:

You can apply to the dual-degree program after having enrolled in either the J.D. or the M.P.A. program; however, to obtain the full benefit of credit sharing, Master of Public Administration students should enter the law school program no later than after the completion of 15 credits in the M.P.A. program.

For more information, see the Juris Doctor/Master of Public Administration (J.D./M.P.A.) section in the UB Graduate Catalog.

If you're interested in applying, contact: